Key challenges at power station
- High dust generation,
- water vapour dew-points,
- acid dew-points,
- extreme temperatures,
- moisture from the process,
- legal requirements (ie. emissions control and reporting).
Generating plant and their requirements for extractive gas analysis are numerous as indicated in the box above. Gas analysis at power stations is utilised on all sections of the plant. From energy production in the boiler, waste gas cleaning, to environmental emissions and emissions control. The main function of process control is to optimise the whole process with regard to energy and material usage. Emission controls based on legal requirements ensure that the environmental impact is kept as low as possible:
- Evaluation and management of a production process
- Influence of measured parameters on key operational performance
- Critically important gas compositions i.e. for energy consumption (fuel/air ratio)
- Risk and hazard management associated with toxic gases
- Knowledge of reaction yield through by-product analysis
- Information about corrosive gases for plant asset protection
Operations at power plants can present aggressive process conditions with extreme temperatures in certain zones. Further issues can arise from moisture content, acid dew-point potential, and high dust generation with uneven particle size distributions.
Analytical systems provide important information on the fuel usage characteristics, process efficiency, and environmental emissions. Generating processes can vary, presenting challenges of extremely high temperatures, gas humidity, acid dew-point and corrosivity, high and irregular dust concentrations.
M&C products provide
- Conditioning of gases from manufacturing processes
- Appropriate corrosion proof and temperature resistant materials
- Filtration technologies for all expected particle sizes
- Mitigation of adverse affects of acid and water dew-points
- Fulfillment of all requirements for cooling and filtration of acids
- Management of water vapor and acid dew-points for analyzer requirements
- Associated optimisation of sample gas pumps and filters
- Also, liquid and flow alarms from one single supplier
M&C engineers are expert in most of the different processes in all power-station types, typically characterised by the fuel type used (including nuclear where the company and its operatives have the necessary certification). For example, the requirements for gas conditioning in combustion zones and emissions cleaning are demanding, and less so for emissions measurement due to the prior conditioning cleaning stages. They will work closely with the customers to deliver the best gas analysis solutions. Renowned characteristics of M&C products are.
- Low maintenance and reliable operation
- Durable products and systems
- Rapid cost benefit through extended life-cycle
- Modern and application-specific solutions
- Specialist explosion-proof design
In practice, different options may be available to achieve the required goals. To discuss the most suitable solutions to meet your specific needs and technical requirements, we would welcome your personal contact at any time.
M&C – Embracing Challenge